Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inspiration










If you look at my houses in Delaware, they are often inspired the farm buildings that dot the landscape along the rural back roads leading to Rehoboth. I have, much to the chagrin of my husband, taken many a detour on obscure back roads to see something new. These are just a few examples of the beauty I find in simple agrarian structures. The photo above symbolizes to me the beauty you can find in this simplicity. The simple “monopoly" box shape, the subtle colors and elegant profile. I love the geometry of the small openings.









I often find there is a sort of poetry about how many farm building are sited. As if a painter assembled them for just the right picturesque view. Do you think farmers think of this? Anyway, you will probably notice a great similarity to some of my houses, in the way I articulate distinct, interconnected "pavilions", so that each project is something like its own little village.










You often see these structures that have been enlarged over time. I admire how the intersecting planes and gable structures relate to each other to form an overall coherent whole.












This is a little country church is Starr MD, located on route 309, just off 404. (a great shortcut to beat the traffic leading up to rt. 50!) Other than the odd little chimney, the simple structure, and the large double-hung windows to me create a very compelling profile. Simple, yet powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment